Sunday 7 December 2014

What is Bootleg Vinyl and Why Do I Want One?

The term 'bootleg' applies predominately to music and alcohol that has been made and distributed illegally.

I don't know why only these two things exclusively but one might argue that they are happy enough bedfellows.  It doesn't for example, apply to DVDs, and you wont find a bootleg Balenciaga handbag. (Though you will find fake ones, I know because I have one from a market in Bangkok.)

With music it tends to refer to a recording of a live performance in particular.  Often these recordings are just circulated amongst fans but some bootleggers have it down to a fine art, doing much of the sound engineering and post-production you would expect a record label to do - and many fetch a price on grounds of rareness.

The "problem" here is that said record company is now cut out of the loop and not making any money from the bootlegged work.  Money which they are entitled to through copyright law.

Now you don't need me moralising on the subject, but just for the record (excuse the pun), I'll declare my stance.

Were you, the artist/label, planning to release a recording of that gig yourself?

  • No.  No problem then.  We are fans and we want more recordings, of more stuff, at more venues.  We will likely buy your stuff alongside the bootlegs.
  • Yes.  Well then you'd better make the official version better than, or different to, the bootleg if you want us to buy it.  If you cant manage that, go have a little cry to your hedge fund manager in Zurich or something.

If you are still feeling any modicum of guilt regarding bootlegs, read this great article, Bootlegs, An Insight into the Shady Side of Music Collecting, which highlights how bootlegged material has actually driven the direction of what an artist releases by showing the label what the fans really want.

I'll tell you a little yarn of my own.  A good friend of mine runs a really super music shop in town.  He attends record fairs and several times spotted none other than Mr Jimmy Page snapping up bootleg Led Zep recordings.  Back last year he says to me 'I suspect they'll start reissuing Led Zeppelin albums now, with "bonus, previously unreleased" material.'  Not long after, the music news was full of talk of the current Led Zep reissues.  Talk to your local music shop proprietor - they have their finger on the pulse!

Now the last thing I want is the downfall of any record labels - I'm a huge music fan and I dig a lot of the innovative work they do and of course the wonderful artists they support and bring to my ears.  I am just not a fan of creative monopolies - 'viva la grassroots, fan-led pressings', 'VIVA LA BOOTLEGGER'.

This discussion started with intrigue around a Them Crooked Vultures LP that I stumbled across:  Them Crooked Vultures - Live at Rockpalast 2009.

Label Details = 'Not on Label'.

I have a deep appreciation of the musical mind of Josh Homme, I am a fan of Kyuss, QOTSA and the Dessert Sessions, not to mention Nirvana, Foo Fighters and Led Zeppelin.  How on earth I have neglected to properly familiarise myself with Them Crooked Vultures, boasting members from all of these beloved bands?  I extol the virtues of the above bands live - grungey, noisey, raw and skilled - so I decided I'd like to hear a little live recording of Them Crooked Vultures.

And that's when I found 'Live at Rockpalast - Not on Label'.  This, I thought,  could be amazing.  A bunch of artists (Dave Grohl, Josh Homme, and John Paul Jones) known for understanding the importance of musicality over production and having a reputation for being kick ass live, potentially recorded straight off an amp at the gig.

Trying not to get totally carried away with myself, I decided to get a reality check from an audiophile friend who I knew wouldn't like the idea.

He didn't like the idea, he didn't like it one bit.

What kid of amateur equipment may have been used?  Has this rogue recorder gotten 'creative' in production between grabbing it from the gig and the vinyl press?

My friend's opinions and knowledge on vinyl are not to be rubbished but we are different people.  He has some LPs that he doesn't play because they are too rare and collectable.  Me?  I'm  more a 'spin it to death because it sounds so good' kind of girl.

So I am sitting here having a cup of tea and reading my order confirmation for Them Crooked Vultures, Live at Rockpalast 2009.  I'm intrigued to find out if my first bootleg vinyl will be all I hope, or whether my friend gave sound advice when he said 'I wouldn't touch it with someone else's barge pole.'



No comments:

Post a Comment